I will keep this short, partly because I really should be sleeping by now, and partly because I shouldn’t let myself write a novel or two about the things that agitate me (which otherwise easily can happen ).
So, what’s the problem? The latest days I’ve surfed around a lot in an effort to find smart and neat plugins for this blog. What I want is the following things:
- An easy interface to add images and thumbnails to my post . The images are stored at my Flickr account. I would rather not copy long URL:s, write my own image HTML-tags and manually resize images.
- Show the location for each post – that is where I was when I wrote it. It should be a non-intrusive link or icon that when clicked shows a map of the location.
- Show the current weather of my last know location as well as local time.
- Show two times for each post – the time it was written in my local time, and that same time in the readers local time (okey, not a very useful feature, but anyways).
- A simple filtering possibility for the reader, so a reader can filter the blog according to categories or language. Should be as simpe as possible, and should also remember the choice through a simple cookie.
Sounds simple? Well, for me it’s not. Although extensive searching I haven’t found anything that could do one or more of the things I listed. And on top of that, to really know what other plugins are doing you often have to go through tiresome install processes and some lines of PHP-coding to get it to work.
If you, dear reader, could find anything that would fit my wishes, don’t hesitate to comment here and save me a lot of anguish. Or, if you would write the software for me I would be even more happier 😀 And yes, I know I can write it myself. I have planned to do so. But my motivation for programming is as always low and I rather not re-invent the wheel – or even parts of it.
Acutally, if someone with more l33t Google skillz (or PHP skillz) than me could solve this, I will honor this hero on this site (yeah, great honor) and buy him or her a beer some day.
(Sidenote. When I manage to get a decent image plugin I’ll start posting images here. Until then you can browse my collection so far at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ripperdoc .)